Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 16 hours ago
Fire of the century in eastern Belgium brought 'under control,' local official says

Around 350 firefighters and other emergency personnel remain deployed in the effort, as do the many farmers who mobilised in support of the operation since last week.

READ MORE : http://www.euronews.com/2026/08/20/fire-of-the-century-in-eastern-belgium-brought-under-control-local-official-says

Subscribe to our channel. Euronews is available on Dailymotion in 12 languages

Category

🗞
News
Transcript
00:02Belgium's largest wildfire in a century was brought under control on Thursday,
00:07after a seven-day fight involving hundreds of firefighters in the High Fence Nature Reserve.
00:13The local governor's office said the fire is not expected to spread
00:18unless there is a major change in weather conditions.
00:22The High Fence fire expanded over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan,
00:26burning through peatland, pine trees and hiking trails.
00:30Authorities said the fire was now fully contained on its western side,
00:35with operations continuing to the east to finish the job.
00:38But officials have warned it will take weeks or even months of soaking and dowsing
00:43to prevent the blaze from reigniting.
00:46Around 350 firefighters and other emergency personnel remain deployed,
00:52as do the many farmers who mobilized in support of the operation last week.
00:57All evacuation orders in the border region were lifted on Wednesday,
01:02allowing residents to return home.
01:04The blaze broke out for reasons still unknown,
01:07in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911 during a similar period of heat waves.
01:14It was the country's largest wildfire since then.
Comments

Recommended