Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 2 weeks ago
The North West Regional Health Authority is investigating a $1.6 million contract awarded for power washing services after the project was reportedly left unfinished just weeks after work began.

The contract, awarded to PR Contracting Limited in June 2024, is now under scrutiny as the authority examines why the work was allegedly left incomplete and whether taxpayers received value for money.

Senior Multimedia Investigative Journalist and Producer Mark Bassant has more in this report.
Transcript
00:00Questions have been raised about a $1.6 million contract that was awarded by Northwest Regional Health Authority to PR
00:09Contracting Limited for power washing services at the Portus Payne General Hospital.
00:13The contract was awarded in June 2024 and is now the subject of an internal investigation after work was reportedly
00:21left incomplete less than two months after it began.
00:24The probe is expected to determine why the project was not finished, whether the terms of the contract were breached
00:31and if any public funds were paid for work that was never completed.
00:35When contacted by TV6 last Wednesday, the owner of PR Contracting Limited, Shivam Parasaram, denied any wrongdoing.
00:43Speaking on the record, Parasaram said,
00:46Only, open quote, I have an ongoing contract with the NWRHA and I am awaiting further instructions, close quote.
00:53Pressed on questions surrounding the project and the allegations that the work was left incomplete, Parasaram declined to comment further,
01:01stating there was little else he was prepared to say.
01:04The matters since triggered an internal audit aimed at determining accountability on whether procurement rules and the contract management procedures
01:12were properly followed.
01:13The audit was launched after the issue came to light in May this year.
01:16Sources familiar with the investigation told TV6 News that the controversy centers on allegations that the full contract to sum
01:24of $1.663 million was paid in May 2025, despite claims that the work on the project had stopped in
01:32late August 2024.
01:33When those allegations were put to PR Contracting Limited's owner, Shivam Parasaram, he disputed the suggestion that no work had
01:41been carried out.
01:42Parasaram maintained that his company did perform work at the facility last year, but declined to elaborate further.
01:49NWRHA's acting CEO, Judith Ballyram, when contacted by TV6 last week, confirmed that there was an ongoing investigation into the
01:58contract awarded to PR Contracting Limited.
02:00Open quote, we are very concerned about this matter and our internal audit is looking into it.
02:06Ballyram stated, close quote, she stated that the contractor will be prohibited from continuing work on the compound until the
02:13conclusion of the investigation.
02:15Ballyram said she could not say exactly how much work had been done, but did contend the contract had been
02:21paid in full.
02:22The present CEO, Anthony Blake, is on vacation leave.
02:25All payments to PR Contracting Limited were made via online banking on May 21st, 2025 at 1.28pm for $400
02:33,999,400,999,000 and later that day at 1.51pm the sum of $176,364.77 and $320,849
02:48,000.
02:49Which amounted to $1.497,000,000, with the first payment certificate covering the mobilization fee of $166,000, hence
03:00covering the entire cost of the contract of $1.663,000,000.
03:04Parasuram acknowledged receipt of the payments when asked by TV6.
03:09According to one of the substantive payment certificates obtained by TV6, the project involved power washing of the administration building
03:15of the Portus Payne General Hospital.
03:17Insiders explained that a payment certificate issued on August 26, 2024 was a signal for the ministry to disperse funds
03:25as the work had supposedly been completed and funds could be remitted for the project.
03:30However, NWRH's acting CEO, Judith Ballyram, told TV6 when questioned about the contract that what should have accompanied the payment
03:38certificate for full payment to be made was also a certificate of acceptance, final completion.
03:45Open quote.
03:46This is usually signed off by the NWRH's operations manager and the contractor, but you have not had any sight
03:53of such document.
03:54Close quote, said Ballyram.
03:56Parasuram, when asked about that completion document, would only say that it was an internal issue with some beef happening
04:02inside the NWRH.
04:04The project commenced in mid-June 2024, two weeks after PR Contracting Limited was officially awarded the contract based on
04:12documents obtained by TV6.
04:14According to a document submitted by PR Contracting Limited to the NWRH, the contract was expected to be completed within
04:2060 days.
04:21Several insiders confirmed that a huge percentage of the power washing and other remedial works associated with the contract had
04:28not been completed when the contractor purportedly stopped work on the project in late August 2024.
04:34Open quote.
04:35The physical inspection of the project site revealed that the works were materially incomplete and does not support final completion.
04:44Significant portions of the southern boundary of the facility remained unpainted and extensive areas were not pressure washed despite these
04:51activities forming part of the contractor's scope of works.
04:54Close quote, said a senior insider.
04:57The senior insider explained it further.
04:59Open quote.
05:00In addition, several critical work items remain incomplete or entirely unexecuted to date.
05:05Despite this material incompleteness, the contractor was certified as having completed the project and was subsequently paid in full.
05:13This raises significant concerns about which completion was certified for the issuance of payment.
05:19Close quote, said the senior insider.
05:21Paris Aram said he had no communication with the acting CEO of the NWRH and was unaware of the investigation
05:28into the contract.
05:29Mark Lassant, TV6 News.
Comments